Wednesday 4 September 2013

A testimony

I was always the type to finish something when I can wrap my head around on what I want to achieve. Unfortunately, I am also the type to drop what I'm doing when I lose motivation or focus. But it was through a selfish motivation and a dedicated month of building a gym routine along with a fixed diet is where I saw results that made me realize my goals are possible. 

When I first joined my gym, I had no clue to what I was doing. The last time I learned anything about weight lifting was in high school and I did horribly in that class. I saw members there who lifted weights heavier than me and thought "I can't do that". I was timid in all aspects of weight lifting. The machines were the only thing I thought I was doing right. But I was wrong. After one session with a friend who has been going to the gym consistently for two years, I learned how to recognize and work on my weaknesses. I learned how to gain strength to achieve the results that I wanted. I did more research on exercises, proper form, amount of reps and sets and valuable rest time. I learned what I needed to do and applied it wholeheartedly. I checked my ego at the door, grabbed the weights I was able to do giving no care to how much better and stronger the other members were. Since then, I never complained about finishing a single workout. The feeling is euphoric, the sensation of knowing you achieved something today that some people haven't yet.

I can lift weights everyday, run every free moment but nothing will come of it if I still ate non-beneficial food. In my household I grew up with most dinners packed with carbs and very little nutritional value given the lack of greens that were seen on the dish. Dieting doesn't have to suck, I can still have dessert if I wanted to, the secret to that is moderation. Dieting is actually the most fun part of this journey. I've discovered so many different meals and food combinations (my favourite is tuna and avocado, yum). Once I grasped what I needed in terms of daily nutrition, dieting became that much easier. It was never about cutting out the yummy stuff, it's about how much you can have and what healthy alternatives is available.

I've learned that the process can be very grueling and intimidating but what I realized is that it's only all in your head. Habits take time to develop and timing is everything. I came to the realization that I had to change who I was to become who I wanted to be. The moment that happened everything became easier. I did my research, tried multiple options, tested my limits and found my weaknesses. I worked on this as much as any one with a career. The focus was there and with that so were the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment